FLIGHT REVIEW EXAM
On January 9th 2019, Transport Canada released the new regulatory framework for RPAS 250g up to 25kg, operating within in Canada for VLOS operations. See them here.
They announced that anybody wishing to operate a sRPA (small remotely piloted aircraft) in a controlled airspace will require an Advanced Operations endorsement on their sRPA Pilot Certification. In order to obtain this, pilots are required to write the online Advanced Operations exam, and undergo a practical on-site Flight Review.
Flight Review Guidelines:
Here are some basic guidelines to consider as you plan for your Flight Review. The specific items being tested are not included, however, pay attention to the broad categories and ensure that your operation is designed sufficiently to incorporate these components.
1) It is the sole responsibility of the candidate to make the final decision as to whether the flight review will be conducted (taking into consideration weather, personnel, and other situational issues which may arise).
2) The Flight Review will evaluate a pilots:
Use of checklists
Ground/air hazard assessment
Choice of takeoff area
3) Pilots must display the following crew resource management skills:
Problem solving / Decision making
4) Throughout a Flight Review, a PIC should be able to, at a minimum:
Describe / demonstrate the site survey process
Describe emergency procedures
Describe process to inform Transport Canada in the occurrence of an accident or notable incident
Perform a takeoff
Navigate the RPA around obstacles
Demonstrate the ability to recognize distances
Perform a landing
5) You will be provided with the Flight Review location information ahead of time.
ELIGIBILITY for Flight Review Exam
Any pilot wishing to undergo a Flight Review must meet the following criteria:
Canadian citizen or permanent resident
At least 16 years of age
Passed the Small Advanced Exam and Provide the Exam Number once you have passed
Provide government-issued identification with the correct spelling of their name
Reside at the address indicated on your pilot certificate